When we are creating a website, there are many things we need to take into consideration; accessibility standards, content quality, usability, accessibility standards, gulf of execution, etc. However, arguably one of the most important to take into account is its design, since the visual elements that we utilize directly affect the user experience for guests engaging with your site.
The following are 5 tips to improve your website design, which will directly impact the experience of guests engaging with your site:
Less is more.
A website becomes extremely difficult to navigate when there’s too much clutter to sort through. The user should be able to easily navigate to the information they’re looking for. Begin by cutting content on your page, using only the most important, engaging information. This reduces the noise and helps highlight what visitors are looking for. You can also achieve more simplicity through white space, which helps create a cleaner, more elegant look.
Consistency is key.
Your entire website should look consistent. This should be reinforced through defined styles and repeating patterns throughout. By doing this, it will help create a feeling of familiarity for guests navigating through your site, to help them find what they are looking for quickly and efficiently.
Good fonts are crucial in web design. This could be an entire post on its own, but here’s just a couple of our recommendations to help with success during the selection process:
- Select fonts that go well with your brand. If you are trying to convey luxury and elegance, choose options that really showcase this.
- Try to stick to 2 font families for your website and make sure that they go well together.
- Establish a system of headings, paragraphs and captions for your website to display hierarchy. This helps visitors navigate quickly through the content to find what they need.
- Ensure that your choices are legible on the web.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Humans can process visual content much faster than text (60,000 times faster). This is not surprising, since we are naturally attracted to images. What we choose to display is extremely important and can make all of the difference between a mediocre design and an impressive one.
A website with poor quality imagery can result in a lack of confidence in your brand and cause visitors to leave. However, good imagery captures authenticity. Not only does it show your guests what you have to offer, but it can also make them want to act, by helping to evoke emotion.
A carefully selected colour palette.
Colours, like typography, can be tricky to use and combine. Here are some tips on how to select the ones that are best for your brand:
- Don’t use too many colours. This can be extremely distracting to your visitors.
- Use a palette that best matches your brand.
- Take colour psychology into account, since colour influences how visitors will perceive your site.
- Make sure your colour choices are AODA compatible.
- Again, white space is good to help clear the clutter.
Tell a story
When creating a website, it’s essential to make a great first impression, and good design will definitely help you achieve this. By following these tips, it will effectively show your guests who you are and what you have to offer, which will promote more trust in your brand as a result.
If you have any questions or comments about this, please don’t hesitate to comment or reach out through our social media accounts (Facebook / Instagram). We would love to hear your thoughts!